With this post I am beginning a series of ‘Five things I love’, about random & not-so-random stuff in my life. So this time, I wanted to leave you with five things I love about my work (not in any particular order of importance):
- Balancing between creativity & fear: I get to be play with this balance each day! In baking, one can be creative in any way - in terms of the flavours, ingredients, presentation - imagination really has no boundaries. I have learnt recently an important lesson. Where baking (or anything else, for that matter) is concerned, creativity is actually just about conquering fear. And I just love doing that with each cake I create! Some work out beautifully, others don’t. It’s all part of the process. Recently came across this beautiful article/interview of Elizabeth Gilbert. I thought it was very insightful & holds true for each one of us.
- Flexibility: Love the way I can work around my routine, which doesn’t really exist, no. Mundane matters such as errands, workouts, family time and sometimes even food falls into place around my work. There are days when I am so flooded with work I can think of little else. And then there are days, when I have nothing and all I want to do on these days is vegetate! Believe me, the ‘vegetating’ days are as much precious, if not more. They keep me sane.
- Being my own boss: It took time for me to realise that this was an important factor for me. While all my former bosses (in my previous life) have been lovely mentors, it is this crazy mix of being independent & responsibly free that has worked for me really. I have never learnt so much in a 9-to-5 establishment as I have working on & for my own.
- Meeting like-minded people: I am meeting & continue to meet with people who share my passion for good food, and not just bakers, though those as well. And isn’t that just amazing? There is so much happening in the foodie world out there. But it is not just about being creative with food, it is also about being viably creative.
- Getting positive affirmations from people: To do something you love and getting paid for it is cool. But then to know that what you do makes a difference in others’ happy occasions, makes it all the more worthwhile. Feedbacks such as these keep me floating on cakey heavenly cloud for days after.
Until next post, Ciao!