To begin with, let me convey my heartfelt gratitude for having faith in me as a baker and as a cake artist. If you have ordered from HeartBakes, you already know my love for writing notes. So I couldn’t resist writing a virtual one. If the post title hasn’t given it away already, this one focuses on the importance of creative collaboration & open communication.
- Know Your Client: No I don’t mean the random fill in the banks, but really getting to know what I call the ‘cake context’. This would mean getting to know you, the occasion, for whom you require the cake, his/her likes & interests, your relationship with him/her, the final budget & the logistics, among others.
- Forging client relationship: There is a difference between client satisfaction & client relationship. The former is transient, short term and implies a passive, one-way street. The latter on the other hand is long term, based on equal partnership and a common goal, that is, to get an amazing cake for an awesome party. We believe every cake project that has turned out successful has been due to this collaboration. And this difference is based on clear and concise communication, and at both ends for that matter!
- Research: This is important at both ends. It is important for you as a client to go through my work profile, read reviews from other clients and ask questions. It is important for me to do my preliminary homework as well and give you clear indications if something is technically possible or not. If there are glaring changes from the final design, it is my duty to communicate the same and the rationale behind it.
- Respecting time: Respecting time is just another way of respecting this baker-client relationship. When we communicate properly and respond timely at both ends, work gets done way faster & smoother.
- We say NO to carbon copying: Design is very subjective and the creative process is even more so. It is great when you approach with a theme, reference picture, colour scheme. But as a baker, it is my duty to inform you that amidst this there must be space for individual creativity and cake styling. Every reference picture is open to interpretation, and no baker can recreate something absolutely 100%. This is even more so when you approach us with no reference picture and want us to design something specifically for you. We do provide a cake sketch then, but we have noticed even that is subject to interpretation.
- Feedback: And this brings me to the last but probably the most important principal. It isn’t just about validating the product (yes the positives are important) but also communicating all those tiny (or not so tiny) niggles that you might have felt in terms of taste, presentation and overall service. I want to know those! That is the only way I can offer you a smoother, a more meaningful service next time.
This process of creative collaboration is the key to a happy ending, a fabulous cake and well satisfied family & friends.
Hope to bake for you soon,
Love & light,